General Prevention Techniques
In order to prevent ankle injuries, athletes and dancers should:
- Wear correct footwear and replace shoes often
- Wear orthotic inserts in shoes if recommended (can be prescribed by a foot and ankle physician)
- Take time off of their specialty sport to avoid overuse
- Recover and rest after each work out
- Practice and play on flat surfaces
If athletes in specific sports, such as running or gymnastics, experience repeated ankle injuries, they should consider cross-training with a different activities to avoid overuse or switch to another sport, such as cycling or swimming, which puts less pressure on the ankle joint.
For specific injury prevention exercises, click to download this two-page brochure.